First Posted: 10/13/11 07:19 PM ET Updated: 10/13/11 11:59 PM ET
WASHINGTON — After an emotional floor debate, the House of Representatives on Thursday passed the so-called Protect Life Act, which prohibits women from buying health insurance plans that cover abortion under the Affordable Care Act and makes it legal for hospitals to deny abortions to pregnant women with life-threatening conditions.
House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.), a proponent of the bill, told voters last week that its purpose is “to ensure that no taxpayer dollars flow to health care plans that cover abortion and no health care worker has to participate in abortions against their will.”
In fact, the Affordable Care Act already keeps public dollars separate from the private insurance payments that cover abortion. A federal judge ruled in August that the anti-abortion group Susan B. Anthony List had to stop making the claim on its website that “Obamacare” subsidizes abortions because the assertion is false.
“The express language of the [Affordable Care Act] does not provide for taxpayer-funded abortion,” the opinion states. “That is a fact, and it is clear on its face.”
Click Here to read more.
- Congress Contemplates Brutal Anti-Abortion Law (alternet.org)
- Gillibrand Says Abortion Bill Part of GOP’s ‘Anti Woman Crusade’ (timesunion.com)
- Abortion getting attention in House (politico.com)
- Protect Life Act: New Bill Would Allow Hospitals To Refuse To Perform Abortions (huffingtonpost.com)
- House Republicans revive ‘Let Women Die’ bill; White House threatens veto (dailykos.com)