I call your attention (below) to: Top Orwellian Comments of All Time ~J
Sunday, May 06, 2012 11:53 PM
If you want to understand the reason PASOK went down in flames in a crushing defeat in Greek elections, simply look at the arrogance and gall of party leader Evangelos Venizelos in a statement following the election.
“We embittered the people so we could protect the future of the nation”, said PASOK party leader and troika sponsored clown, Evangelos Venizelos.
Ekathimerini reports Election swing leaves Greece teetering.
PASOK leader Evangelos Venizelos and New Democracy chief Antonis Samaras both declared themselves open to the idea of forming a pro-European national unity administration that would include other parties and would seek to renegotiate the terms of the EU-IMF loan agreement.
“All Greeks have to get to know each other again,” said Venizelos, who admitted that PASOK had paid the price for carrying the burden of the crisis. “We embittered the people so we could protect the future of the nation.”
He said that the possibility of forming a national unity government with a “European orientation” regardless of parties’ positions on the bailout should be explored.
Samaras said he would seek to form a “national salvation government” to keep the country in the eurozone and pledged to “amend” Greece’s debt deal with foreign creditors in a bid to boost growth. He attributed the outcome of the elections, in which voters punished the two main parties, to “the disappointment of the Greek people for dead-end policies that have pushed them to the limits.”
However, the possibility of a third group joining such a government looked extremely slim last night. Perhaps the best hope for Greece’s two main parties would have been Democratic Left, which maintained a clear pro-European stance during the campaign.
However, party leader Fotis Kouvelis repeated his position that cooperation with New Democracy and PASOK was not in Democratic Left’s intentions. “The results show people’s frustration and anger,” he said.
A failure by PASOK and ND to form a government would leave second-placed SYRIZA, the night’s big winners, with the option of trying to form a government. Greece’s electoral law means that in case of a hung parliament, the first party has three days to form a government, followed by the second party and then the group that comes in third.
National Salvation Party
The idea that Troika sponsored clowns can form the basis of Greek salvation is ridiculous. Furthermore, Venizelos’ statement is right up there with other top Orwellian idiocies.
Top Orwellian Comments Of All Time
- An American major after the destruction of the Vietnamese Village Ben Tre: “It became necessary to destroy the village in order to save it.”
- Vice President Joe Biden: “We Have to Go Spend Money to Keep From Going Bankrupt.“
- President George W. Bush: “I’ve abandoned free-market principles to save the free-market system.”(For a discussion please see The Most Redeeming Feature of Capitalism is Failure)
- Nancy Pelosi said “We have to pass the health care bill to see what’s in it.” (YouTube Video)
- Larry Summers says “The central irony of financial crisis is that while it is caused by too much confidence, too much borrowing and lending and too much spending, it can only be resolved with more confidence, more borrowing and lending, and more spending.” (Reuters)
We can safely add “We embittered the people so we could protect the future of the nation” to that list. As I said, Best thing For Greece is Tell the Troika “Go to Hell”, and the election proves most Greek voters know it, even though they have been brainwashed into wanting to stay in the euro.
Mike “Mish” Shedlock