BREAKING: IDF CALLS UP ADDITIONAL 18,000 RESERVISTS AS GROUND OPERATION IN GAZA STARTS
Published time: July 17, 2014 21:20
Edited time: July 17, 2014 22:06
A ground operation in the Gaza Strip has been launched by Tel Aviv following more than a week of Hamas shelling the country and the IDF responding with air strikes. Over 200 Palestinians and one Israeli have died in the violence.
[Published on Jul 17, 2014
Following ten days of Hamas attacks against Israel by land, air, and sea -- and after repeated rejections of offers to deescalate the situation -- the Israel Defense Forces has started a new phase of Operation Protective Edge. A large IDF force of infantry, tanks, artillery, combat engineers, and field intelligence is entering the Gaza Strip. The force is supported by the Israel Air Force, Navy, and other Israeli security agencies.]
Thursday, July 17
Egypt’s foreign minister has accused Qatar, Turkey and Hamas of conspiring to undermine Cairo’s efforts to bring about a ceasefire between the Palestinian militant group and Israel in Gaza, Egypt’s state news agency reported.
“Had Hamas accepted the Egyptian initiative, at least 40 Palestinian souls would have been saved,” MENA quoted Sameh Shukri as saying.
Egypt had proposed a permanent ceasefire plan on Tuesday, which Israel accepted. But Hamas, saying its terms had been ignored, rejected it.
Hamas wants Israel and Egypt to lift border restrictions that have deepened economic hardship among Gaza’s 1.8 million populace and caused a cash crunch in the movement, which has been unable to pay its employees for months. (Reuters)
Israeli troops backed by tanks and warplanes advance and open fire east of Rafah, Khanyounis – Palestinian freelance journalist Yousef Alhelou reports on Twitter.
The IDF warns residents in Otef Aza and all of the southern Gaza Strip to remain in their bomb shelters throughout the night. Meanwhile, witnesses tell Turkey’s Anadolu news agency that Palestinian forces are clashing with Israeli troops in the Strip’s north.
An Israeli officer in Southern Command told Buzzfeed that additional troops were ready to be called up in addition to the tens of thousands already deployed along the border.
“We are prepared to go as far as needed,” he said.